Crime Alerts | Village of Alsip
ComEd has seen an increase in reports of individuals calling ComEd customers and falsely claiming their electric service will be disconnected unless payment is made. These impersonators instruct customers to buy a prepaid credit card and call back to a different phone number with the personal identification number (PIN) or other personal information. They also use a tactic called “spoofing” to manipulate the Caller ID displayed phone number so that it appears as a ComEd number.
ComEd representatives will never call you to ask you for cash or request that you purchase a prepaid credit card to make a payment on your bill. If you have concerns about the status of your account, call ComEd’s Customer Service line at 1-800-334-7661(1-800-EDISON1).
– Report Phone Scams
Unfortunately, this scam and many, many, others are quite common in today’s world. Many of them originate from overseas offenders and it’s near impossible to identify who they are in this world of computer and other technologies. It is imperative the public be informed and understand it is o.k. to hang up on all unsolicited phone calls. As you all know, the scammers are already treading into scam calls on all of our cell phones. You are under no obligation to speak to anyone. A simple “no thanks”, and a hanging up, is all it takes.
If you believe you have been the target of a phone scam, ComEd urges you to contact the Illinois Attorney General’s office at 1-800-386-5438 (TTY 1-800-964-3013), or visit the Illinois Attorney General’s website “Protecting Consumers” link.
Keep an eye on your community with these resourceful tools listed below.
DIAL 1-866-361-2999 Option #2 FOR CRIME STOPPER TIPS HOTLINE
Last updated: 08/10/2018
VILLAGE SERVICES 708-385-6902:
• Clerk’s Office
• Building Department ext. 335
• Water Department ext. 327
• Public Works ext. 364
• Health Dept. ext. 336
• Village Ordinances visit village website or visit: https://library.municode.com/il/alsip/codes/code_of_ordinances
FIRE DEPARTMENT 708-385-6902:
• Fire Department ext. 233
• Fire Prevention / Inspections ext. 237
• Car Seat Inspections / Installation ext. 505
If you are in need of a fire dept. response of a non-emergency issue please call 708-385-6121
POLICE DEPARTMENT 708-385-6902:
• Police Criminal Records ext. 257 Mon-Fri 730-330 (Leave message if after hours)
• Copies of Reports / Citations ext. 256 Mon-Fri 730-330 (Leave message if after hours)
• Crime Free Housing / Crime Prevention ext. 249
• Investigations ext. 255
• House Watch / Extra Patrol / etc. e-mail – firstname.lastname@example.org
If you are in need of a police response for a non-emergency issue please call 708-385-6131